/

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Baby Banana Custard {{Sugar Free}}




I try and make my babes his food whenever possible. It's not that I'm against jarred or packaged baby food, but really have you ever tasted it??? And those little meat sticks in a jar...oh yuck! With all the time I spend making other things in the kitchen, I have discovered with little to no effort I can make my own food for the babes at home.

And he likes it way more than jarred food.

This was a piggy back post of of my Spinach Egg White Salad post I wrote. In that post for the recipe you only use the egg white which leave a few yolks left over. I thought I would try making something with them, since I felt **guilty** throwing them away. And that is from years of conditioning on my Mother's part about some poor kid starving somewhere.

Thanks Mom :)

Anyway I call this Baby Banana Custard, but I'm not even sure it can really be considered a custard since it is not prepared traditionally the way a custard is prepared. But since this is my blog and I'm calling it that...so I'm going with it.


It is seriously easy to make and my little guy LOVES it. Egg yolks are full of cholesterol, which like many cholesterol rich foods are FULL of wonderful and important nutrients, like the many fat-soluble vitamins like A,D,E and K to name a few and essential fatty acids. Yes, I am an egg advocate, especially for little growing babies that require optimum nutrition to develop.


It takes but a few ingredients and a few minutes to make this little treat and to boot taste good for big people too, especially those like me that eat a grain free, sugar free life style!! (The irony of this has not escaped me)

This is what you will need....

  • 4-5 egg yolks
  • 1 large RIPE banana
  • 1 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt or heavy cream (optional)
  • (For babies, make sure they tolerate any and all of these ingredients before serving.)

Mash the yolks in bowl, they should get all sorts of crumbly. If you would like them smoother add in some Greek yogurt or heavy cream and mix it well.  My little guy has no problems with any of these additions, so I add them sometimes and other times just skip them, either way it still tastes great. They will look all crumbly, but don't worry it will come together in a few steps, so put them aside for a quick second!


Mash your banana in a separate bowl, remember the riper it is the sweeter it is! I have one of those hand held emulsifier blenders which is one of my most favorite tools of the kitchen, because it's great for making stuff like this for the babes and for my older girls who love homemade banana yogurt shakes. Add the banana mixture to the mashed egg yolks.


 Mix it until the banana and the yolks come together to form a creamy mixture, serve immediately!


My little guy like to steal the spoon and try feeding himself!!!


You an store this in the fridge, but keep in mind the top layer will get a bit discolored if it sits, just mix it up as it is still fine to eat.

Hope you enjoy!