/

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Awareness Ribbon Cupcake Toppers

Hope everyone had a wonderful and safe 4th of July. It feels like the summer just began, but is already heading fast towards the halfway mark...which means my pregnancy is almost over as well.

YIKES!!!! So exciting and terrifying at the same time.

There are some days in which I'm not sure what I've gotten myself into...two toddlers and a new baby on the way. Then there are the other days (moments really), when I embrace how truly blessed I am to have the opportunity to raise not only two children, but a third this fall.

That realization typically only occurs after the two terrors of toddlers I chase around all morning are napping...and the house is quiet for a brief moment in time :)

These awareness ribbon cupcake toppers were made for a very special little girl named Emily who is diagnosed with MPS / San Filippo Syndrome. I had never heard of it until I found out through a friend of mine of a fundraiser her Mother was hosting to help raise money for research into this debilitating diagnoses.

 If you would like to know more about Emily you can find out about her through the FaceBook Page Emily's Dance also found {HERE} 

I donated a bunch of cupcakes and cake pops to the event they had a  few months back to do my part in helping to raise money and awareness, I wish there was more that I could have done, but it's what I was able to do.

These ribbon toppers can be customized to any type of awareness ribbon, by just changing a few elements such as color.


This is what you will need to make them....

  • Fondant
  • Gel food color...your choice with whatever awareness color applies
  • Something to cut the fondant with..a sharp knife or a pizza cutter works wonders here :)
If you have never worked with fondant before, it's really not that scary, not for something like this anyway. It can be purchased at most crafts stores and with a coupon it can be bought relatively cheap. It is also sometimes sold in color combo packs, so if that is easier than purchase that.

If you have uncolored fondant, start by coloring it. To do this add a little gel food coloring to the amount that you will need and knead it until the color is evenly distributed. If it gets really sticky add a bit of shortening to your hands or even powdered sugar.

When you are finished coat it in shortening if you have it and place it in a plastic bag. Fondant dries as it is exposed to air, so keep it well wrapped until you are ready to work with it.

Roll out your fondant to the thickness you wish, I made mine a bit thin because I wanted it to look like ribbon, just don't roll it so thin that it falls apart when handling it. To keep it from getting too sticky add a dusting of powdered sugar to your roller and work surface.

Using a cutter, a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut the rolled fondant into strips. I used lengths of about 6 inches, that were about 3/4 of an inch thick.



You will fold over the right side diagonally to start building the ribbon.



Then fold the other side down. Before you place it down, brush the inside of the ribbon with a little water so it is secure where it meets in the middle


Make sure the ends of the ribbon extend past the middle part of the ribbon like so. Don't pull everything too tight, you want the top to have the 3 dimensional look of the loop of ribbon, so be a little loose with it.


Now with your cutter or knife, slice the edges of the ribbon vertically.


I added in some little flowers I had made using a small flower cutter to finish the ribbon off. Although I used a different color :)


These are what they looked like finished. I let mine dry for a full 24 hours before decorating the cupcakes with them.


To decorate the cupcakes, I used a large decorating tip 1M & 2D and added in a few sprinkles before placing these on top.


Just give them a gently push to ensure they attach to the frosting.


I hope you enjoyed this post, although it's not about the most cheerful thing in the world. I wish that one day we will never have to use awareness ribbons of any kind, because hopefully one day there will be a cure for all that ails us.

If you have any questions or just want to say hello, please feel free to leave a comment below!