/

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Monster High Logo Cupcakes

If I knew how absent minded I would become after having kids, I may have had second thoughts about the whole shabang. I seriously waste a good hour or two (maybe even more) of my day(s) trying to figure out what I am supposed to be doing, why I came into a certain room, where my phone is (sadly enough,while I'm holding it), where my sunglasses, key, drink, shoes, hat...yadda..yadda..yadda.

Does ANYONE else have after baby memory issues/cognitive fog like this or is it just me??  My lack of short term memory and overall fuzziness in thinking is seriously putting a cramp in my whole I used to be so quick and witty, now I'm lucky if I make sense when I speak vibe.

Whatever....

On a lighter note though, I had no idea that Monster High was so popular with little girls today. I get so many e-mails about them that I thought it appropriate to make another version of them.....

Because a lot of you keep asking me for it anyway :)



Be mindful....I found these a bit more difficult than the skullete to make, although they do look really great when finished. Because the details are so small and close together, it gets a bit tight...if you don't have a problem with that cool, keep on reading! Otherwise you may have an easier time making this version or you may even want to try making the cookie version which can be found {HERE)

Either way this is what you will need to make the toppers!


  • 4-5 decorating bags 
  • 4-5 couplers 
  • #1, 2 Decorating Tips
  • Logo Template (I can help you with this)
  • Wax Paper
  • Royal Icing
  • Pink, red , blue & black GEL food coloring
      • Thin tipped food paintbrush (or toothpicks)
  • Time and Patience
Any supplies needed to make these cupcakes toppers are available {HERE}

If you are unfamiliar with this way of making a topper, please refer to one of the more in depth tutorials which you can find {HERE}. It explains in  every detail, what you need to know in order to make a topper. But if you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me or just comment below.

Soooooo, before you begin anything...download and print out the logo template {HERE}


Tape the template to a piece of wax paper, so that you are able to see the image through it. This is what you will use to pipe outline of the logo.




Now I originally said that you would need a # 1 & 2 decorating tip and well, I lied. Not because I wanted to mislead you, but  because I used a PME # 1.5, which you may or may not have...


If you don't use whichever tip you feel more comfortable with. I just personally like the 1.5, which is not a tip you can generally run out to the store and buy, but since I have it and love, love, LOVE it, I I use it..A LOT :)




Whatever tip you choose, begin outlining the logo with your black icing (piping consistency). I waited to do the banner last, no reason why, it's just the way I choose to do it.When you are finished outlining it, it will look a bit similar to he image below.  


I did make two versions of this topper, one with stripes on the pink area of the crest and one without stripes. Personally I liked it better without the stripes, it just ended up looking cleaner. But if you have experience with Royal Icing you may do a better job than a newbie like me :) With all that said....let the outline it dry for a bit, 20- 30 minutes should suffice, but you could wait as long as overnight if you like.




 I started flooding all the white areas first with a #2 tip and letting them sit for a few minutes, before using my #1.5 to add each additional color.




When it was all flooded it looked like this....




I let it sit for an hour or so,  before I painted on the eyelashes, you could use a toothpick too. Just use a bit of the black icing to paint with.



I choose to leave the logo blank, but it could be customized with a name or something of that nature to make the toppers more personal. I don't think these are the best I have ever done, but one's that I will steadily improve upon as I play with royal icing more and more!!

Hope you enjoyed this post, if you have any questions, please feel free to leave a comment below or just email me!

Thanks!