/

Monday, December 5, 2011

How to make a Cinderella Inspired Princess Cake

After a two week bout with the flu and a million and one other things; be they situations or circumstances that randomly erupted in my life over the past month. I am happy and relieved to be able to mull around and do some posting of all I have been creating in the past few weeks.


This particular post is one about a cake. Not just any cake but a princess cake; a Cinderella inspired princess cake to be exact. My daughters are still too young to be overly obsessed with the "Princess" stuff, but I know in time they more then likely will jump on that bandwagon.

This cake though was made for my friend Joe's daughter, Lexi. She is smack dab in to the middle of this Princess phase so it goes without saying that she would want a cake that looks like a princess. So I made her one.

You can make her too.....



This is what you will need:

  • 2 boxes of cake mix (Whatever flavor you prefer.)
  • Doll Cake pan
  • A Princess doll
  • Saran Wrap
  • Decorating bags
  • 2 Couplers
  • Angled spatula
  • #18 tip
  • Cupcake pearls (for decorating)
  • Vanilla Frosting
  • Blue gel food coloring
If your not sure what a doll cake pan is this is what they look like...


I'm pretty sure you can find them in most craft stores, or online. I used my Mom's which is a classic, it's over 30 years old, no joke! She made a many doll cake in her time!

First you will have to bake the cake. I use 1 1/2 boxes of mix, if you use any more it will most likely overflow when you are baking it which makes a complete mess in your oven. NOT fun :) With the remaining batter I typically just bake them into cupcakes.

While your cake is baking, use your this time to mix your frosting. You can either make your own frosting like I did with {this recipe} or you can use store bought frosting. Which ever you prefer or is easier to do. If you do use store bought frosting, add in about 1/4 cup of confectioners sugar to help it keep it's shape when you are decorating with it.

Split your frosting into two separate bowls and begin coloring it. I simply made two shades of blue. One dark and one light. Easy enough! It will darken a little over time so when you feel as though you reached the color you want, cover it and put it in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it


Now you can get your princess ready. Start by pulling off her legs and wrap her bottom portion in saran wrap. This will help it from getting cake in all her girly doll parts :) Sorry I don't have a picture to demonstrate this, but I'm POSITIVE, you can figure it out!

After your cake has cooled completely it's time to get it ready to be decorated. You will most likely have to trim the bottom to get a flat surface. On the top of the cake make a small hole to put the doll into. Save the cake pieces you cut out, because you may need to stuff the hole a bit to keep her steady. And whatever pieces you don't use...eat them :)

Now it's time to start with a crumb coat....


If you don't know what a crumb coat is, well then here is my explanation. It's a rough cover of the cake. It doesn't have to be perfect, it may even be a bit messy. But the reasoning behind it all is that it seals the  cake and helps keep your frosting pristine when you fully frost the cake. It isn't the final finish, it's the undercoating.
After you have added you crumb coat, put the cake away and let it crust up for about 15-20 minutes. You will know when this has happened when you touch the cake and your finger comes away clean.

Now it's time to frost. It's sort of like adding a crumb coat, but much neater and smoother. I divided the cake into two sections of light and dark, which will eventually follow the lines of her dress when you pipe the frosting onto it. Don't worry about getting a perfect satin finish when frosting, after you let it set and crust over again I will show you how to smooth it out.


After it has crusted take a paper towel, the smoother the better (I use Viva) and gently rub and smooth the frosting. It will leave the smooth finish that you desire. When that is finished fill your decorating bags and lets get started with piping the frosting.

Really all I did was follow the lines I created with the initial frosting of the cake and added lines around to break it up. Get as bold as you wish...


After I added all the pipped frosting I added in the decorating pearls to accentuate breaks in the colors and to create new lines and designs.


The end result was a simple, pretty cake that the other parents were in awe of, but a cake that more importantly made a little girl smile ear to ear!!! Happy Birthday Lexi!!!

Hope you enjoyed this! If you have any questions or just want to say hello, please feel free to leave a comment below to let me know you were here!