/

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Malt Ball Cake Pops (Whoppers)

This is the last of my Halloween inspired candy cake pops, since all the Halloween candy is now officially gone. But I'm sure I will be making many more cake pops in the future, I had such a ball with these past few and I learned SO MUCH, in regards to making perfect cake pops.

 I created these by adding Whoppers chocolate malt balls to the basic cake pop mixture. It added a whole new dimension of flavor to an already awesome cake pop!




To make them, this is what you will need:

For these cake pops although you can use any cake recipe you wish, to save time I opted for a good old box recipe, but the choice is yours. When I use a box recipe I also CUT the amount of oil that the box recipe asks for and replace the difference with apple sauce. (75% apple sauce to 25% oil)

This is huge people......this one little change eliminates the need to refrigerate them, which in turn prevents them from cracking after you dip them and eliminates the oil from the mix oozing out from the pop.

When your cake has fully cooled, break it up into a bowl until it is finely crumbled. Add in the frosting and mix until it has all been incorporated, it will be very mushy looking. For one 13 x 9 or two 8" rounds, I use 1/4 to 1/3 cup of  chocolate frostingYou do want a nice balance of cake and frosting, and not just all of one or the other.  


 You can also used canned frosting, I just like the taste that my frosting gives the pops.


When you are finished mixing, it should resemble a big bowl of mushy cake. If you add to much frosting it will be too soft, heavy and will most likely fall off the stick, but if you don't add enough  they will be too dry. 

Put the mix aside and start crushing your Whoppers into a fine mixture. Add this to the cake/frosting  and mix it until it is all incorporated.



Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and get started rolling. I use a Tbsp. measuring spoon to scoop out the mix, this helps to keep all the pops roughly the same size. Roll them out one by one and line them up on the wax lined cookie sheet until there is no mix left. Cover them with wax paper or plastic wrap and put them to the side as you prepare your chocolate.


Before you are ready to dip them, get your candy melts ready. Whenever I use chocolate or a dark chocolate for dipping, I have found the best way to thin it out is to use a dark chocolate with a high fat content...80% or higher, I use about a square or two, adding if I need more and it works incredibly, adds an intense chocolate flavor and hardens with a beautiful shine.




More importantly it makes the chocolate flow beautifully and is so easy to dip into, with no streaks from oil or shortening.

With your melted chocolate take the end of a lolly pop stick and dip it into the chocolate, then insert it no more than halfway in to the cake pop. This helps when dipping the pop into the chocolate..helps it to keep a grip :) It also helps to finish off the pop after it is dipped. 
Dip the pop straight down into the melted chocolate until the whole of it is submerged and remove. I swirl them around to remove any excess chocolate, but if your not comfortable with that you can also hold the pop in one hand, rolling it and tapping it to remove any extra candy coating.


Place in something to hold it upright while it continues to fully set. I use a block of Styrofoam covered in plastic wrap, but if you don't have that on hand you can use what works for you.

After the outer coating has set completely, it's time to start decorating them. Start by crushing up the Whoppers candy and put it in a small bowl. Fill your squeeze bottle with candy melts and melt the chocolate.
I swirled the chocolate onto the whole of the pop by turning it in my hand, while squeezing the melted chocolate onto the pop.


Immediately sprinkle the crushed whoppers candy onto the chocolate before it completely sets. And put a Sixlet candy on top

This recipe yielded approx 40 Cake pops.


I hope you enjoyed this. If you have any questions or just want to say hello, please feel free to leave a comment below!!